Monday, May 5, 2008

Ladies and Gentlemen, Start Your Engines....

...because the month of May in Indianapolis has officially begun! This Saturday we enjoyed the 500 Festival Mini Marathon with 30,000+ other runners (or "runners" if we're referring to yours truly). Okay, and when I say enjoyed...well I mean that we participated. I think that punishment is a term that best describes a 13.1 mile race. Seriously, why do that to yourself? The running bug? Mental illness?

Brent decided to join in on the punishment on Friday and ended up with a very good time (2:13) for a man with a bum knee and about 3 weeks of training under his belt. I came in about 40 minutes after Brent and friends Laura and Kirby per the usual...which always works out perfectly because they are usually recovered enough to carry me back to the car. Laura ran it in 2:09 which I believe is her best time yet. She also ran the Nashville Mini the week before, so she is pretty much amazing. Kirby ran as herself this year and not as 42 year-old Gordon Lightfoot (okay, so it's not Lightfoot but we can't remember his last name) and had another good time of around 2:15. And another kudos to Rachel, who ran it in 2:32 and beat last year's time considerably.

Maybe I should consider sports writing as a career change? (Since right now I'm "studying" for the Financial section of the CPA and I wil surely toss my laptop out the living room window if I have to answer ONE MORE question and foreign currency translation or other comprehensive income. Good thing I have this blog to work through that laptop-throwing sensation.)

I'll post a pre-race picture as soon as Laura and Kirby give the approval. The race isn't something to get all gussied-up for...in fact, I'm not sure if I give my approval to post, either.

Okay, a few more hours of studying left...then it's off to buy swimming suits, suncreen, and a wide-brimmed hat, because tomorrow morning we are off to Cabo!!!!! :)

1 comment:

ashley said...

kudos on doing the mini!!! i'm really thinking about getting back on the mini train! hope you have a great time in cabo :) have a drink and get some sun for me ;)