Sunday, October 24, 2010

Chicken Pot Pie

I love a good batch of chicken pot pie.  I am always whining about the fact that it is only available at Cracker Barrel on Wednesdays for lunch, and we don't work close enough to a CB to make that happen.  The truth is that even when I do go to restaurants that serve it, I won't order it.  Why?  Because it's loaded with fat and calories, of course!

It's such a complicated relationship between the two of us. 

I made this recipe from Annie's Eats last night, and oh.my.word.  She's not kidding around - it was worth every bit of the effort.  I even had to run to Williams-Sonoma yesterday morning to buy the individual serving dishes, and I would do it again if I had to.  It made six generous pies for us.  We ate two last night, have two in the fridge for a leftover night, and have two fresh, unbaked pies in the freezer waiting for another busy week.  Brent was alarmed about the 3 1/2 sticks of butter I used in the making of these pies.  I explained to him that it wasn't really that bad since it made three whole meals...it's not like we were eating that all at once!  That's not really a very good argument, I know, but he bought it.  That's why when you make these, remember it's best to just keep the butter quantity to yourself.    



Tasty pot pie, ready for the oven. 
As you'll see in the background, I used my dough hook for the crust instead of doing it all with the food processor.  I did use the food processor to crumbled the butter and flour together, and then transferred to the Kitchen Aid.   




Photobucket

1 comment:

Bob and LouAnne said...

Very impressive. I must have that recipe!