Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Oh Veterans (and Veterans Day), How I Love Thee...



Thank you, veterans!  Thank you for defending our country today, thank you for laying down your lives, and thank you for giving us the pride to tear up during the singing of our National Anthem every.single.time. 

By the way, I struggled with wanting to put an apostrophe in Veterans Day, I guess because grammar is important to me I don't want to look like an idiot on the internet.  Here's the official ruling from the Department of Veterans Affairs:

Q. Which is the correct spelling of Veterans Day?
a. Veterans Day
b. Veteran's Day
c. Veterans' Day

A. Veterans Day (choice a, above). Veterans Day does not include an apostrophe but does include an "s" at the end of "veterans" because it is not a day that "belongs" to veterans, it is a day for honoring all veterans.

Huh.  Should this ever show up while you're a contestant of a grammar gameshow, you know where to send the check.
We immensely enjoyed one of our job perks today - having Veterans Day off.  I had five objectives for the day.  Here they are:

1. A good work out
2. Laundry/iron
3. Email about family pictures
4. Store for toothpaste, contact solution, etc. since this was the last possible day I could live without them
5. Blog

Things I added to the list:
1. Buy shoes online at Nine West (big sale, check it out)
2. Find long-lost classmates on Facebook
3. Look at photocards templates 
4. Eat at Fogo de Chao

I don't think that "Laundry/iron" is an item that will EVER leave the list...there's always more to do.  And it's only the two of us!  Clothing management - not one of my better skills.

Anyway, we had a great, relaxing day.  We'd been looking forward to using our gift card at Fogo de Chao, a Brazilian steakhouse downtown.  It was a great experience.  They have a fancy schmancy salad bar and bring all the meat you could ever eat to your table.  You have a little card that you flip to the green side if you want more, and then flip to red if you need a break. 





After lunch we stopped by the new Marion County library downtown.  It's been opening for awhile, so it's only new to us, but it's also been awhile since I've stepped foot in any library.  I finally signed up for a library card now that I've been here almost five years.  I'm anticipating having more time to read very, very soon.... 

Why, you ask?  Well I'll tell you why - it's because I only have FIVE MORE GRAD CLASSES until I'm done with my MBA.  Wowsers!  December 3rd is it, folks! 

Here is my grad class after our presentations last night.  I love these people!  It's roughly the same group of 12 that have gone through the program together for the last two and a half years.  I will miss them! 




2 comments:

ashley said...

i thought of you on the way to school this morning and figured you might be enjoyed a day at home! also glad to hear about someone tearing up for the national anthem....i had tears streaming down my face at our veterans program at school today. we asked for members of each branch of service to stand and be honored with songs. oh.my.word. i cried like a baby.

glad you had a good day! :)

Emily said...

yeah! you're back! i've missed your blogging!