Monday, October 13, 2008

Mid-October Already?!

Greetings, dear friends. Not much to update from the last week, but it's good to check in anyways. Bonnie is getting better and better and we're not as overwhelmed with her puppy-ness anymore. Things were pretty uninteresting here last week as Brent worked a lot for year-end and I studied for the Financial portion of the CPA exam whenever I wasn't taking the dog outside to potty...again. We were able to squeeze in the latest episode of The Office, but even the Hills and Biggest Loser had to be paused for the exam.

On Saturday Brent went to Jonathan's to watch the Boilers lose to Ohio State (is it basketball season yet???) and I worked at the soup kitchen at our church. It's called Bread 'n Bowl and it has been running at our church (North Church) on 38th street for 35 years now. This is something new I've been helping with and I really am excited about the possibilities it brings. For example, on Saturday I met this girl named Christy, and she was just so, so timid and sweet and I thought, "Honey, you're never going to make it! Come home with me!" I am hoping she will come back next time I'm there so I can get to know her more and find out her story.

Today we were off work for Columbus Day (don't hate us) and I took the exam this morning. It went...okay. It will be another close one. If you don't hear anything about it by the end of November, you can assume I failed. I had many people thinking and praying for me though, so hopefully it will turn out okay. If not, you all know what I'm going to do....take it again!! After my exam we went to a rib fest at Eric and Kelly's house. Eric got a smoker for his birthday so he made us Kansas City style ribs and Memphis ribs. Both were delish.


Alright, off to fold some clothes. But before I go...

I'm feeling a little easier about our pit of an economy now because we have learned how to live off the land. That's right, this delectable green pepper came out of our weed patch in the backyard! We also grew a few gourds (which I thought were going to be cucumbers...at least that's what the little tag said when I bought the plant this spring) that will come in handy for autumnal decorating.




I made freezer corn for the first time this summer. It was fun and I wish there was still some left to freeze... My grad school friend Betsy sells sweet corn at a Farmer's Market close to our house. Her business is called My Dad's Sweet Corn - check it out and stop by one of their locations next summer! Very cool.




Quote from last week's Office:

"When I discovered YouTube, I didn't work for five days. I did nothing. I watched Cookie Monster sing Chocolate Rain about a thousand times."

3 comments:

Megan said...

Hey! I'm so glad to hear things are improving with Bonnie. I meant to text you back, but after I got your message I lost reception, AGAIN (which tends to happen a lot in the area of Stewardson/Strasburg, Tower Hill, etc) Then I forgot about it. Sorry. I figured since you had the test that would be too much for one weekend. :) No sweat.

ashley said...

not just anyone can grow their very own pepper! :)

Kickin' It With The Koesters said...

Nice pepper, lady. Can't wait to meet Bonnie at Maw-Maw's!!...oh and to see you too! haha